Option: Image Accordion
POI: Indian Council House
Established in 1797 by the Indian Department, the Indian Council House was a place where British officials held meetings with Indigenous nations. It was located in Niagara-on-the-Lake near the newly constructed Fort George, but was destroyed during the War of 1812. A second Council House was built and remained operative as a meeting place until 1828. During these three decades, the Indian Council House became a key centre of diplomacy between the British and their Indigenous allies. Treaties were negotiated and large group discussions were had, including a ‘Council of Condolence’ held for General Brock on November 6th, 1812. This point of interest was a symbol of Indigenous-settler relations during an important transitional period within Niagara’s history. The Indian Council House was turned into a military hospital and the site with its additional barracks and storehouses became known as Butler’s Barracks by the mid-nineteenth century. It remained in use as a military headquarters and training ground within the Niagara region well into the 20th century.