The 1969 Canada Summer Games in Halifax & Dartmouth, NS.
I got my first camera in 1969 for my 12th Birthday. I took the attached photos of the athletes parade and the dignitaries. I was thrilled to see Canada’s Prime Minister (Pierre Elliott Trudeau). It was like seeing a movie star! We attended a number of events. I particularly recall Field Hockey and Lacrosse-two sports I had never seen before. They caught my interest and I went on to play both sports during my high school and university years. I remember the excitement around the Games and how special it was to be the host City. We were so excited to be part of the Games as spectators, and in events surrounding the games.
-Sheila Fougère, Spectator
Would you like to contribute to the Canada Games Collection?
Some examples of contributions could include:
- a photo of a medal you won as an athlete in the Games
- a photo of a commemorative jacket, pen, or baseball cap from the time your town hosted the Games
- copies of notes you took as a coach or mentor at the Games
- a newspaper clipping about the Games
- a page in your journal regarding watching the Games on television, or seeing them in real life
- a video clip of your family member or friend competing at the Games
- a photo of yourself and other volunteers working together at the Games
- a pamphlet or flier advertising the upcoming Games
- a blog post about your experience with the Games as an athlete, volunteer, coach, manager, spectator, or other
- a few written sentences describing a distinct memory or funny moment you experienced in connection with the Games. No memory is too small!